John 15:18-25 “The Flipside of Being Friends With Jesus”
The world of unbelievers has by and large an opposing nature to believers.
Often the Gospel message is a “Gospel Lite” message.
- It’s just not the real picture of what it means to be a Christian.
- The Gospel message is that Christ Jesus has enemies and that we as His friends become their enemies as well.
- Jesus’ message in this paragraph is different than that which He had affirmed with them as them being His friends, that He would not leave them comfortless, not to be troubled, that He’d leave them His peace, etc….this has to be a real jolt to them.
4 Statements from this paragraph:
- The world hates you.
- The world hates you because it hates God.
- The world hates you because you defected.
- The world hates you….but…there is good news!
1. (The World Hates You.) Vs. 18, 19 The love of Christ will incur the hate from the world.
- This is a prominent theme in the New Testament.
- 1 John 3:1
- The world hates Jesus…..and His disciples.
- The “world” is the ideologies against Christ.
- 2 Cor. 4 Paul wrote that the god of this world has blinded the eyes of those who do not believe.
- The “world” is:
- Very intellectual; very cultural, very refined; very spiritual, very religious……but at the same time it is very opposed to God…..and they are not too crazy about us either!
- Vs. 20 “persecute” = to hunt……to chase
Read Matthew 10:16 (wolves/sheep)
- Wherever the Gospel was and is presented there is opposition to it.
- The martyrs in the church
- These are all Jesus’ friends.
2. The World Hates You Because the World Hates God Vs. 18,23,24
- It is really a spiritual issue because Satan (the god of this world) unleashes his demons against us to influence all elements of human culture.
- God sent only One for the remedy of sin. If they hate God….they hate the One He sent, and they hate those who follow Him.
3. Vs. 19 The World Hates You Because You Have Defected From the World
- Paul had written to Timothy that all who will live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
4. The World Hates You But There’s Good News
- Vs. 18 We are standing with Christ.
- Jesus: Sermon on the Mount…. “Blessed are you….when you are persecuted for My name’s sake…..great is your reward in heaven.”
- When persecuted for being a Christian you are a part of fulfilled scripture. (Ps. 35,Ps. 69)
- But there is a good chance that there will be some who will believe. Vs. 20
Welcome to Discipleship 101!!!