John 14:15-18 “Four Part Harmony”
Musically, when voices harmonize, it is a very pleasing sound. But today we want to talk not about musical harmony…..but spiritual harmony.
Four Part Spiritual Harmony:
- God the Father
- God the Son
- God the Holy Spirit (That’s the Trinity)
- And then you and I…..we make up the 4th part.
The blending together of all four parts make beautiful music that is pleasing to the Lord.
We always see this perfect harmony working between the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- First hint…..of this we get back in Genesis 1. “And God said let US make men in Our image.” “In the image of God HE made man.”
- That’s inner Trinitarian communication….all agreeing together.
My goal this morning is practical. I will not and cannot unravel the mystery of the Trinity. I do however want to unveil the ministry of the Trinity.
- God the Father, in using musical analogy, is the Great Composer…..He writes the score per se.
- Jesus Christ is the first violin in the orchestra.
- The Holy Spirit is the Conductor and all the church takes their cues from Him.
- Our job is to cooperate with the Conductor…..not to rewrite the score, nor to adlib as we go along….nor try to be the conductor.
First of all, the Father’s part.
- Vs. 16 He provides
- The word give means to supply or furnish that which is necessary.
- Genesis 22 God is given the name Jehovah Jireh “the Lord who will provide.”
- The Doxology: “Praise God from whom all blessings flow….”
- He gives us joy, ability, capability, wisdom, salvation, the Holy Spirit and everything else we need.
- He’s the Great Composer who gives the world the greatest love song in Jesus Christ.
- The Lord’s Prayer that Jesus taught…..”give us this day our daily bread…”
- Luke 11:13
- So God is the Provider…..the first part in the four part harmony….He’s the giver…the source.
So what’s our part if God is the source? If God is the giver….we are the receiver.
The second part….The Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- His role is the Intercessor….. Vs. 16
- This verse is important because it marks the intercessory work of Jesus for His followers.
- This is a ministry that Jesus has been performing for two thousand years.
- It simply means that Jesus talks to the Father about you.
- In John 17 we read of this again.
- This is the “unfinished” work of Christ.
- The ‘finished’ work was accomplished on the cross at Calvary.
- Heb. 7:25
- Rom. 8 He sits at the right hand of God making intercession for us.
- 1 John 2 says that He makes intercession for our sins by being our advocate. (Our defense attorney.)
- We should be excited knowing that we are on Jesus’ prayer list.
So two of the parts working together….God the provider….Jesus the intercessor
The Third Part….The Holy Spirit.
- Vs. 16 He is called the “helper”.
- Greek parakletos Helper, counselor, comforter. One who is called along side to help.
- Jesus also calls Him “another helper”. Inferring one like Himself. (Jesus).
- In vs. 16 He’s a “permanent helper”.
- He comes to save us, to sanctify us, to supercharge us, to get us ready and able to do His work.
- He’s also called the Spirit of “Truth”.
- Read chapter 16:7-13
- Apart from the Holy Spirit no man, no woman can know the truth about their sinful condition and the about the righteousness of God and what it takes to get to God.
- Vs. 17 He’s an exclusive Helper.
- The world can’t receive Him because they don’t believe in anything that they cannot see.
- 1 Corinthians says that the natural man, (that’s the unsaved person), cannot receive the things of the Spirit of God. They are foolishness to him.
- So it takes the Holy Spirit to open up the eyes and the heart of that person.
The Fourth Part: Us.
- Vs. 15
- God writes the scorre….He’s the Provider
- Jesus is the intercessor….the first violin.
- Holy Spirit is the conductor..the helper, the comforter.
- But we….we are the conformers. “If you love Me, you’ll keep My commandments….”Requires obedience.
- If you are not being obedient to Christ….you are fighting the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit….and that only brings disharmony.
- The Trinity is always in perfect harmony.
- It’s that “4th Part” that we sometimes have problem with.