Chapter 14:19-26 “Such Awesome Promises”
- They fill our lives.
- New car warranties…etc.
- Weight loss schemes
A promise is only as good as the one who is giving it.
Something like over 7,000 promises in the bible from God.
Knowing what the disciples are going to face…..Jesus gives them 4 more promises:
- The promise that they will see Him again and the promise of supernatural life. (vs. 19)
- The promise of supernatural knowledge. (vs. 20)
- The promise of supernatural presence. ( vs. 21)
- The promise of supernatural revelation. (vs. 25,26)
First promise: Supernatural life.
- Is there a difference between existing and living?
- Vast majority of people endure the present time, still waiting for future
- Jesus said that He had come to give more abundant life.
Second promise: Supernatural knowledge.
- Jesus is assuring His disciples that His death will not end their relationship.
- Read 1 John 1:1-3
- When Jesus rose from the dead, it proved that everything that He had said about Himself was true.
- The resurrection:
- The men from the boys.
- The minor leagues from the majors.
- Krishna, Buddha, Mohammad….and all others
Third Promise: Supernatural presence.
- Those who obey will experience Him.
- Those who disobey will not experience Him.
- The word “manifest”. Judas (not Iscariot) asks why it won’t be revealed to the world? He asked this question because the disciples expected Christ to bring in the kingdom immediately.
- Jesus will not reveal Himself to those who refuse to love and obey Him.
Fourth Promise: Supernatural revelation.
- Jesus tells them that the Holy Spirit will be their teacher.
- Up to this point, Jesus was their teacher.
Four Application points based on these four promises: 4 Questions to ask yourself.
- How’s my life? (Am i existing….am I living?)
- How is my knowledge? (Are you experiencing what you know?)
- How is my intimacy with Christ? (Is your heart truly Christ’s home?)
- How is my relationship with the Holy Spirit? (Is He teaching/instructing me?)